21 February 2008

Is my belief less credible cause it's not yours?

This is taken from an ongoing email discussion I am having with a good friend who is a born-again christian. I am agnostic.

"This is where I stand today.
Agnostic - believe in God/higher power, believe in God driven Evolution, do not believe in an historical Jesus (no contemporaneous proof), the bible is a fictional book with some factual elements. It was meant to act as guidelines for a primitive people although some of it is still relevant today. I believe the stories are a by-product of multi-cultures across many centuries. I base my beliefs on 95% science and history and 5% faith. I believe in respecting others Religious beliefs especially when they don't jive with mine because I want the same in return.
.....
I would never judge another belief system unless it was truly harmful (physically/mentally) and I really do expect the same in return .... haven't gotten that a lot. Anyway I have been doing more and more reading, research, talking and observing."

No comments: