22 March 2008

religious bigots

I have to get this out. It's driving me nuts. Christians irritate the shit out of me. I mean the majority of religious people are annoying because they all think they are #1 on God's list. When you actively seek out others who don't agree with your belief system and try to "save" them thru conversion, all I have to say is mind your own business and get a different(less intrusive) hobby.
 A little background info here - my Mom is a practicing Roman Catholic, Dad is a non-practicing RC and I was raised RC but am now what most would call Atheist(this is recent after years of searching and introspection). Four years ago we moved South of the Mason-Dixon Line into a neighborhood where the majority(99.9%) are Born Again Evangelicals. They think we are all RC and therefore have made repeated attempts to "save" us(some direct and others indirect)mainly because in their minds RC does not equal Christian. Now we come to the latest attempt and this one just plain pissed me off. Yesterday was Good Friday, the day Jesus was said to be crucified. My Mother went out around 7 am to get the paper. Attached to the mailbox was a bracelet made from yarn and  5 coloured beads along with a 2 page letter. The letter was titled "An Easter Story" it went on to explain the purpose of the bracelet and what the different colour beads signified.  Then it went into explaining Easter - their version. Which was mainly repetition of Bible quotes of how we are all sinners and the only way to God is thru acceptance of Jesus. Basically a longer annotated version of the bead explanation. There was not one mention of the "traditional" Easter story except to note over and over that Jesus died for your sins(but we are still sinners until Jesus is truly accepted into our hearts). Now this is the good part. All the way up to this point there is use of "we" and "you" with heavy implication  that if  you choose to accept Christ you too can be saved like we are. The last section is where they bring  it all together. Becoming a Believer is Like ABC  - that's the title of the last section. They actually tell you that you are a sinner and will be separated from God until you confess to Jesus and are born again. One of the last lines is this: "If you became a believer or you have more questions about becoming one you can look at our website". Oh yeah my life changed FOREVER after I read this. Now normally I would blow this kinda crap off. However     this was left anonymously. We know which families attend the church mentioned and most have kids. My parents assumed it was from the kids. I'm not so sure and anyway why was it put in the mailbox unsigned? All the kids know us and come by to visit often(read as: get popsicles and candy) so I can't imagine them doing this. The other thing is this - my Mother called another neighbor who is BA but attends different church and who lives 2 doors down from us, she didn't get the bracelet or the letter. I know it's not that big a deal but it just pisses me off how cowardly and sneaky someone was and they are more likely than not pleased with themselves for their actions. Ok I'm done.

No comments: