01 March 2008

Tolerance?

I do not believe in religious tolerance. I do not think it accomplishes anything. The very definition of tolerance is to indulge or allow. According to Merriam-Webster online: Tolerance: 2 a: sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own b: the act of allowing something . Who is anyone to allow someone else the right to practice or not practice religion? What I believe in is respect of others beliefs whether religious or not. Again Merriam-Webster online: Respect: 1a: to consider worthy of high regard b: to refrain from interfering with. I would much rather others respect me than simply tolerate me. This holds true for my belief system as well. In as much as I think others would want the same from me. It is one thing to ask questions concerning anothers religious beliefs(or lack of). It is an entirely different matter to attempt to convert or otherwise try to disprove them. Would you welcome the same type of behavior if directed at you? I dare say you would not. Just as also you would not want overt or covert ridicule directed at you and your beliefs. You do not need to agree with someone, but you can be tactful and respectful in your disagreement or questioning.

No comments: