17 May 2011

Living?, A Living?, A Living Wage? part II

I started out in one place and ended up in a completely different one.
Who knew this went full circle for me.

I think to understand WHY people are opposed to "social programs" one must understand the mindset.

"No one ever helped me so please explain the purpose of helping lazy fakers."

Which leads to...

1. These people are lazy fakers ie. they would rather be on the dole than earn an honest dollar.

2. These so-called unemployed are too picky or are not looking hard enough.

3. Mentally disabled persons. (insert unbelieving snort here) Depression everyone gets depressed. These   'mentally ill' people need to suck it up, put on their big-girl panties and quit faking.

4. Physically disabled persons healed awhile back but are used to the cushy life - beer, chips and soaps.

Whereas in reality...

1. While this is true in some cases it is not true in all. Sweeping generalizations can be dangerous.

2. One example: My own father, white collar bank auditor, was out of work for 3 years during which time we almost lost our home, I had to leave college and my mom took a job in a hospital cleaning OR's(have you ever cleaned an OR after a hip replacement?). My dad applied to drive school buses(turned down) and applied to refuel planes at our local airport ($5/hr)(accepted)and finally applied for and got a job back in the white collar field(corporate account reconciliations). Oh yeah at half his original salary. He sure was picky.

3. Let's see where does one start. Everyone should spend at least one week in a state run mental hospital - talk about F.U.N. Try a cocktail of psychiatric drugs - one anti-depressant does not cut it. You can keep the big-girl panties as long as there are no strings - same goes for your shoes (This is the abbreviated version - I have a l...o...n...g version I will post later.)

4. If you think this is fun and cushy you haven't tried it for more than a week all the while dodging accusations of fraud. Then again I don't know many disabled people who can mix alcohol with their pain pills.

No comments: