07 May 2011

A Living Wage, A Living, Living

What do you define as a living wage? Is it just being able to afford the basics and maybe if you're lucky and you scrimp and save you can treat yourself with a new t.v. or computer? Do you deserve health coverage? A decent car? Name brand instead of knock-offs? A vermin free home in a safe neighborhood? Who makes the decision of what you or I deserve?  Why should I be required to take a drug test to receive Welfare, Food Stamps, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security or Disability? When it is not required for the doctors, nurses, politicians, bankers, 1st responders, teachers, manufacturers, et. al. How do you manage to survive on $50k, $75k, $100k, $250k, half a million, one million or more? I have to survive on a little over $11k. I fight with the private insurance that is supposed to make  Medicare Part D easier and more user friendly. Every year I get switched to a new company with "better rates" Then I need to go thru "step therapy" for the drugs they prefer not to pay full price for - just to see if a generic will do the job(if they didn't last year I doubt very much they will this year) Sometimes a faxed letter from the doctor will help - sometimes. 
I'm on disability because I'm diagnosed as Bipolar(until you have actually had to live with it you really have no opinion.) I live with my Mom because I have no wish to live in Section 8 Housing without use of a car or public transportation. You use CARTS and tell me how convenient it is - especially after your appointment runs late and they leave you there.
 If you think I have a free ride think again. I worked for years: food service, retail, education and various other jobs always trying to maintain a degree of "I'm as together as you". I struggled to get a 4 year degree in about 10 yrs. I've been hospitalized more times than I can count for my Bipolar - plus two really good sized ones: 4 months and 6 months respectively. A week on a psych ward is bad enough - let's see you do 6 months in a state psychiatric hospital - 24 hour lockdown, no going outside or open windows(no fresh air), no visitors or very few (most people do not return after the 1st visit - even in a private hospital) - posting tho incomplete more later

No comments: